So the parents leave my brother and me to ourselves for an evening. Our quality time together resulted in morning breakfast muffins for dinner. The hours of drooling at food pictures on Stumbleupon and Pinterest came to practical use when we decided to make these little bacon-egg bombs.
Most recipes point to a half fry egg or what you would call a sunny side up, but my brother is not so enthusiastic about a runny yoke as I am, so I just whisked the egg with a little milk. It works great making the muffins fluffy and moist. You can always add more toppings to suit your liking such as grated cheese, coriander, herbs or more bits of meat (ham/ chicken). It’s super easy to make and packed with all your favorite flavors!
Here is the link to the original recipe!
- 6 slices of bread
- 6 strips of bacon
- 2-3 eggs
- 1/8 cup of milk
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter the molds of the muffin pan.
- Trim the crust off the bread. Line the bread slices in the muffin tray. Set aside.
- You can either roast the bacon in the oven for 10 minutes or cook them on pan over the gas. If roasting, line a sheet pan with parchment paper and lay the bacon strips on it. You want them just slightly cooked and still pliable. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together. Season with salt and pepper. If you want to add any extra toppings to you can add it to this mixture.
- Shape the cooled bacon into the bread cups lining the muffin tray, with the meaty side out. Pour the egg mixture in each of the cups.
- Lower the temperature of the oven down to 350 degrees.
- Bake the egg cup in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until the egg has cooked.
- Run a knife along the edges and use a small spoon to pop them out.